Chapter # 8 Paragraph # 2 Study # 4
August 21, 2007
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
1901 ASV Translation:
13 for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
- I. The "Mortification" of the Deeds of the Body.
- A. Our Question: How does one "put to death" the "deeds" of the body?
- B. Paul's Answer: "By the Spirit".
- 1. Paul's doctrine is that the Spirit of Jesus dwells in our bodies as the Spirit of resurrection power.
- 2. Paul's promise is that the "resurrecting Spirit" will give life to our subject-to-death bodies -- apparently meaning that this Spirit will enable our bodies to produce works of righteousness in harmony with the requirements of the Law.
- 3. Paul's present promise is that if that Spirit is permitted to "kill" the unrighteous deeds of the body, we will experience that Life.
- 4. But, the monkey is on our backs in that Paul's words were, "...if by the Spirit ye put to death...".