26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
Gabriel's Commission: Deliver a message to Mary, a virgin in Nazareth of Galilee who is betrothed to Joseph, a son of David.
28 And he came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favored, the Lord is with thee.
Gabriel's opening words declared Mary's special status before God.
29 But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this might be.
Mary's reaction was 'troubled questioning'.
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favor with God.
31 And behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Most High: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 and he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
- A. The Commission was given by God.
- B. The Commission was given six months into Elizabeth's pregnancy.
34 And Mary said unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
Mary's response: How can this be to me as a virgin?
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Most High shall overshadow thee: wherefore also the holy thing which is begotten shall be called the Son of God.
36 And behold, Elisabeth thy kinswoman, she also hath conceived a son in her old age; and this is the sixth month with her that was called barren.
37 For no word from God shall be void of power.
- A. Stop being afraid because you have found grace from God.
- B. You are going to give birth to a Son and shall call Him Jesus.
- C. He shall be great; He shall be called the Son of the Most High; the Lord God shall give Him David's throne.
- D. He shall rule over the House of Jacob forever without end.
38a And Mary said, Behold, the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.
Mary's Response: I am the Lord's servant and accept your message.
38b And the angel departed from her.
- A. You will conceive by the power of the Holy Spirit so that your Son shall be called the Son of God.
- B. Behold, Elizabeth, your old and barren kinswoman, is into her sixth month of a pregnancy also.
- C. The answer to your question? God's words have omnipotence behind them.
- A. 1:26-27 Gabriel is sent.
- B. 1:28 Gabriel addresses Mary: You are graced.
- C. 1:29 Mary is significantly troubled and questions.
- D. 1:30-33 Gabriel reveals the coming of Jesus.
- E. 1:34 Mary questions.
- F. 1:35-37 Gabriel answers her question.
- G. 1:38a Mary accepts.
- H. 1:38b Gabriel leaves.